Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Have a Need For Speed



*Fam emergency:( Sorry for my tardiness*

So I have been a jogger for years. I started faithfully leisurely jogging while in college. I had put on the freshmen forty and needed to drop some poundage in my junior year. I gave up the 2 liters of soda per day, and started jogging and "voila!", 30lbs melted off like magic:)

I wish it were still that easy to drop off a little booty meat, but I know my body is now used to the leisurely jog and no longer shocked by it. A few of you suggested intense interval training to switch things up, and I have been trying to do that on warmer days tabata style. 20 seconds fast run, 10 seconds leisurely jog. The only problem is that my "fast run" is not very fast! I mean it is definitely faster than my jog, but it doesn't feel crazy intense.

I know some of us have began posting about running technique, and maybe you have some advice for me as far as sprinting goes. However, I would also like to know if it is possible to significantly increase your speed through some type of training. Is there something that I can work on in particular that will give me more speed? I did some searching on Google and saw "speed training" and "interval training" as ways to increase speed, but they seem the same to me. Can anyone provide advice and enlightenment.

3 comments:

  1. Yatta - will you be running outside or on a tread?

    Before crossfit my running would consist of 1 minute sprints on the tread followed by 1 minute or so of walking or standing on the side of the tread.

    At one point i established a goal of running a 6min mile. I started by running short sprints at 10mph on a tread. I would end it by an all out sprint at 10mph for as long as possible. I would shoot to increase my running time (on that last sprint) at 10mph in 30 second increments. eventually, it just became easy to run at 10mph for a while and bam.....6 minute mile. took about a month.

    Not sure if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tyler. Right now since it is not consistently warm out, I do most of my running on a tread. Hmmmm...I find your idea of standing on the side of the tread interesting. I usually run fast, and then take it down to a slow jog, but it is annoying because you have to wait on the tread to adjust speed. Maybe just keeping the speed at the same and hopping off for the slow interval make more sense.

    I can't remember the last time I ran a solid 8 min mile consistently. I think I may try your method to see if I see improvement. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like a spokesperson these last few days:

    http://crossfitchicagoendurance.blogspot.com/p/about-cfce.html

    ReplyDelete