Monday, January 10, 2011

FUNGUS!!!

Yeah I know, this is kind of disgusting but I want to write about it anyway. So this past summer, after my wonderful trip from Hawaii, I started noticing small white patches on my skin, more specifically my back and thought maybe I was just peeling from a lovely sunburn. But months passed and the spots persisted. They never hurt or itched or anything. They just looked unpleasant. A few months ago I went to my dermatologist and asked about these white spots and he proceeded to tell me I had a fungal infection – GROSS!

This fungal infection is called tinea versicolor or pitryiasis versicolor. (Refer to picture, but it's obviously not me and my fungus isn't that bad) It is when naturally occurring yeast found normally on the skin becomes infected. After freaking out for a little bit, my doctor assured me that its actually a common fungal infection of the skin that is usually seen after returning from a place with hot and humid weather (check) and very common in people that sweat and work out a lot (double check). This hypopigmentation of the skin is usually most noticeable during the summer time when the skin is tan and are usually located in the upper back, chest and arms. There are no real major concerns or problems with it besides it looking cosmetically unappealing. The spots can be treated with antifungal creams. Go take a look in the mirror....have you noticed any spots lately??

So what’s the bottom line???? Well besides grossing you out and telling you about my awesome skin, the best way to prevent the fungal infection: WASH YOUR BODY ASAP AFTER YOU FINISH WORKING OUT and/or SWEATING!

Hope you have a good week ya’ll!

12 comments:

  1. "Shower After Working Out: A Cautionary Tale" by KLoo.

    Jacket Summary: Blogger KLoo's autobiographical expose on the dangers of infrequent bathing habits and skin disease, which raises the question: if our cavemen ancestors had leprosy, should we?

    Peer reviews:
    "I just threw up in my mouth."
    -Camey

    "So much for stink and drink."
    -John Anderson

    "Optometrists are not real doctors."
    -thomas wubben

    ReplyDelete
  2. priceless.

    kloo=fungus amungus.

    my legs are so f#$king sore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristine...ignore Drywall and Thom! LOL. I remember you and I talking about our fungus...YES I too have been a victim of that crap. It was in the middle of my back where my sports bra lies. I am a very clean girl and I still couldn't escape from the fungus, so no worries Krisitne:) I bet more people have it or have had it and have no idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Tom, my legs are absolutely toast. If I had to do today's WOD with air squats right now, I'd DNF. I wonder how I'll be feeling at 6pm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My legs are sore, but its more shoulders and neck that are killing me today. Ugh!

    KLoo - interesting post. Never heard of it. And thanks for not posting nasty pics like Yatta did last week. Ha!

    Kelsey - just get back to eating healthy today and you will feel better after today's WOD. I had a bad weekend too. Something that helped me get motivated again was a conversation with one of the girls from LP. She she told me that she lost 40lbs following Paleo. I like hearing other people's experiences with Paleo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to hear what her diet was before paleo. And when exactly she started CrossFit in relation to starting paleo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ kloo...HAHAHAHA. always such nice sentiment coming from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Camey! Hey! Graphic pictures were necessary for those that cannot read:) lol.

    @Kels...do not feel bad hunny bunny. Just jump your ass back on the wagon. I think I was talking with Camey the other day about how even when I eat shitty, my weight no longer fluctuates. It pretty much stays the same. I think that is due to the intensity of CF. I am sure you are the same. However, while my weight may not skyrocket, if I actually want it to go down I will have to change my eating habits a bit. Mentally I am just not ready to go full out Paleo like before. Just being honest, I have been lured back into a world of processed and delicious foods for the time being. lol. I saw Kurt's FB picture post of his meal for today and almost gagged because it looked so nasty and boring. I am on Drywall's plan for the time being:) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kloo - My question about paleo and crossfit was in relation to Camey's formerly chubby friend. I'm totally over your personal hygiene issues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha Kels, I didnt meant to freak you out!
    don't worry. there are way worse things you can get from the gym

    ReplyDelete