Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pre & Post Workout Snacks

I have heard so many different theories about PRE- and POST- Workout snacking.  Some claim that working out on an empty stomach burns more fat – you burn through your glycogen stores in about an hour and then your body turns to fat stores for energy.  Problem?  Your body will eventually start to burn muscle tissue as well.

Lately, I have been reading a lot about catabolic and anabolic processes, glycogen formation and protein synthesis.  Wow – my brain hurts from writing that!  Here is how I understand the science:

PRE-Workout:  nutritional strategy is based on providing alternative energy substrates to preserve energy stores, Carbs & Proteins

Carbs (simple sugars) consumption before training can reduce the amount of glycogen used and prolong performance

Protein enhances the delivery of amino acids to the muscle tissue, taking advantage of increased blood flow to working muscles

POST-Workout:  recovery is based on a quick change to an anabolic stage from a catabolic environment.  Introducing carbs, protein and fats into your body allows damaged tissue to begin the repair process and restock fuel reserves.

            Carbs are important for glycogen recovery

Protein is essential to post workout anabolism, providing amino acids which help rebuild damaged tissue and, enzymes and carrier proteins essential for adaptation to exercise

Fats and essential fatty acids in adequate quantities have the ability to alter physiology

Fluids are extremely important for muscle growth (dehydration inhibits muscle growth)     

I realize this is OBVIOUS information for most of you, but I have only recently become interested in learning the science behind it all … and to be honest, only recently have I applied the patience necessary to read and actually understand it.

Having said this, what are your PRE- and POST- Workout snacks, meals, supplements??

10 comments:

  1. 1/5/11 Food Log
    WARNING - you will see a cheat portion. If too scared, please stop reading after Almonds.

    1/2 Caff coffee w/ dollop of whipping cream
    2 scrambled eggs, Turkey Sausage
    Banana
    Salmon Filet, assorted steamed veggies
    Almonds
    Hummus & Pita Chips
    Chicken Sausage, rice, raw tomato
    OJ

    1/5/11 Performance
    Back Muscles and Chest Muscles were so incredibly tight, I had to use my rest day. A heating pad, lots of stretching and a few motrin have helped tremendously. Will be at the box making up yesterdays workout and getting some additional strength training in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, my name is thomas and im consistently dehydrated to the point where my body has just gotten used to the morbid state.

    but in all seriousness that is a major weakness of mine. im not one of those people who carry a nalgene around and i hate drinking...fluids that is, not alcohol. i have a large coffee in the AM, 12 oz of water with lunch, and about 16oz of water with dinner (post WOD). i have probably been like this since i stopped chain drinking mountain dews in college. its a terrible habit and im working on it. (i also have only like a cup of water at some point at the box)

    as for pre-workout snacks, i dont do it because id probably vomit it up. post-workout...im bad at that too. I try a 1:4 ratio of protein:carbs after if i do eat something directly after. otherwise, its just dinner ~1hr after i workout.

    i need help. ha.

    something im good at though, eating enough, which i think is just as important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great info Rae!

    I usually eat a snack 2-3 hours before I workout. If I don't, I am starving! I try to include protein/fats/carbs. Like beef jerky and almonds or apple and almond butter. Sometimes a Larabar.

    Post workout is easy. I am usually hungry right after I workout so I have a protein shake. I am a fan of mint chocolate protein shakes too. Kelsey, you have great taste! Haha! Then when I get around to dinner I try for a protein/fat/carb mix.

    Tom, I am like you. I could definitely drink more water throughout the day. I prefer hot tea most of the time and water is boring to me. So sometimes I flavor my water with lemon or cranberry juice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me: eat a whole food meal about 2 hours prior to workout.

    pre: BCAAs or a scoop of whey
    post: 2scoops whey + waxy maize(good clean carbs)

    Seems to be working pretty well for me. Everyone truly is different, so you'll probably just need to play around with stuff until you find what works. Took me way to damn long, but glad I put the time in to explore different stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote a really long and insightful post, but got a page load error and now it gone.

    Short version: I drink a lot of water; if I'm hungry or low on energy I eat and don't stress about it; 1 scoop of whey pre and post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Mahoney's is booked for the yet-to-be-announced grand reopening part on 1/29. Time TBD, it will be in the evening after some sort of group WOD, time also TBD.

    But, put 1/29 in your calendars now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for setting that up james. 1/29. check.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1/29 - Wow I may actually get to party with my CFC or crew! And bring my husband so you all don't think he's made up. Although, has anyone seen Lars and the Real Girl?!?! hahaha.

    James are you becoming the Jonny Vu of the west side? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. bahah! 1/29-- i'm in.

    currently eating whatever is in the house as a clean out the pantry/stop spending money week or two.

    Should we get james some lulu apparel?!

    PS-- great to see everyone back at the box tonight...wonderful to have everyone back in town. looking forward to lots of time spent w/ you guys :)

    ReplyDelete